You have been through the divorce, the mediation, and all of the assets and finances have been settled.

Is that the end of it? No.

When you complete a financial arrangement order, a child maintenance agreement or spousal maintenance agreement, it is highly likely that in a year’s time, your circumstances will change for better or potentially for worse.

So, with that in mind, when you apply for a divorce, it is worth knowing all of the legal implications that can occur post-separation, so you can be prepared in advance on what to expect.

At Prentice Family Law, our divorce solicitors in Guildford will be sure to advise you on all of these and will be able to help you navigate them with ease, so you don’t have to go through a ‘second divorce’ scenario relating to your ex-spouse and the division of assets.

What are some of the legal issues that our divorce solicitors in Guildford see post-divorce? Read on to find out.

Spousal maintenance

This is usually required on top of child maintenance orders and is paid directly to your former spouse either for a set time or for the rest of their life.

However, if there has been a change in your circumstances, such as you have fallen ill health, are unable to work, or have lost your job, you will need to contact our divorce solicitors in Guildford to have the spousal maintenance agreement rewritten or temporarily suspended.

Child maintenance

This is one of the most common concerns that many divorced people, particularly fathers, have.

Although it is governed by the Child Maintenance Service, our team can help with the drafting of a document to have the amount reduced or overturned temporarily. The latter will only occur in very rare circumstances, but the amount being reduced is very common if you have lost your job or become unwell.

Child arrangement orders

When you separate, you and your ex-spouse will have discussed a child arrangement order. This would dictate when and where your children would live on a weekly basis and which parents have core custody.

However, there are many reasons why this would need to be changed, and our team can help. The first option is to see if an agreement can be amicably agreed upon, and our team will always be happy to help with the mediation of such an arrangement.

If there is an issue wherein the parent who has primary custody cannot look after your children but does not want them to live with you, then we can draft a letter to the courts to have the child arrangement order re-examined and altered. If there are accusations or allegations of child abuse relating to the parent who has sole custody, then legally, you will have the legal right to have sole custody of your children temporarily.

Relocating with children

If you want to move with your children to a new city, unless the other parent has had their parental rights terminated by a court, the way forward is to aim to reach an amicable agreement. Of course, if this is not possible, then you (or your former partner) will need to apply to the court to relocate with your children.